|What is a Certified Cost Technician (CCT)?
The Certified Cost Technician program was established to give less experienced professionals the opportunity to advance their cost engineering skills and professional development, and be distinguished as an Certified Cost Technician prior to obtaining the prerequisite 8 years of relevant experience necessary to become certified as a CCC/CCE. This option requires passing a different exam, and provides an alternative path for becoming certified.
The benefits of becoming an CCT are:
Summary of CCT Certification Process
- The CCT gives less experienced total cost management professionals the opportunity to advance their cost engineering skills and professional development, and be recognized as having achieved the CCT distinction.
- Identifies less experienced cost engineering professionals who have demonstrated a level of competency, knowledge, and ability in applying total cost management principles early in their career.
- Distinguishes less experienced cost engineering professionals from their peers to employers, clients, and the industry.
- The professional practices for the cost engineering profession are raised and improved by giving special recognition to those who achieve a high level of competency early in their career.
- Increased awareness of cost engineering principles at the collegiate or technician level of the organizations will occur, and promote more employers hiring technician-level professionals.
Candidates for the CCT designation must meet these minimum requirements:
It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they have met the experience requirements prior to submission. AACE reserves the right to deny any candidate if it has been determined, after review of documentation, they are not eligible to sit for the exam. By registering and submitting payment you are claiming you have met the minimum requirements to take the exam. All fees are non-refundable.
- Experience requirements
At least 4 full years of professional experience, of which up to 4 years may consist of appropriate college-level academic training.
Please note that AACE cannot accept your resume/vitae as verification of employment or your degree.
Verification of work can simply be a short paragraph from your supervisor stating how long you have worked there and a brief description of your duties. If you are unable to contact a previous employer, we will accept a statement from your current employer that they did check your previous employment and verifying what they found. If you are self-employed, you can write a short paragraph explaining your work situation and then have the signature notarized.
To verify a degree, we will accept a copy of your diploma or transcripts from the awarding college/university.
- Submit Application Instructions and fees
There are two steps in making a complete application for the CCT exam: Apply & Make Payment and Submit Supporting Documentation.
- STEP ONE: All candidates must apply and make payment online or submit a downloadable application with payment information provided.
Certification fees are US$250 for AACE Members, and US$375 for Non-Members. All fees are non-refundable.
- STEP TWO: All candidates must submit experience/education verification documentation* to AACE Certification Staff.
*Please note: if you are retesting, chances are you will not have to resubmit your eligibility verification documentation. If you want to be sure, please contact email@example.com.
After we have received ALL of your information to complete an application, it
may take approximately 45 days to properly verify your eligibility to sit for our exam and enroll you in the program. Once you have been cleared to sit for the exam and enrolled, you will receive instructions on how to schedule your examination with our computer based testing (CBT) vendor, Kryterion and an access voucher code valid for 6 months.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- You will have one month from the date of registration to
submit all required verification documentation and any other requisite
submissions. Failure to provide the information will result in denial to sit for
the examination and will require you to reapply, paying full fees again. All
fees are non-refundable.
- Once you are cleared to sit for an exam, you will have 6 months, from
the date of clearance, to take the exam with the access voucher code
given. If you have not successfully passed the exam within six months, or six
months have expired without taking the exam, you will be required to begin the
process again, including paying full fees.
- Pass the examination
To become a CCT, an overall passing score of 70% must be achieved, as determined by the Certification Board. AACE will maintain a CCT's file for at least 4 years, or until the CCT's certification expires or they become a Certified Cost Consultant/Certified Cost Engineer (CCC/CCE). CCT credentials are not eligible for renewal.
The CCT exam is comprised of multiple choice questions and covers basic supporting skills and knowledge. The exam is open book, allowing each candidate to bring the AACE International Certified Cost Technician Primer and the S&K of Cost Engineering textbooks with them to testing center. Downloaded reference books should be printed and bound in a notebook; no loose paper, iPads,
Kindles, etc. will be permitted for resource materials. Candidates are
also permitted to bring any style of calculator, including programmable
calculators, to use during the exam.
If you want to know what our CBT exam will look like, please view the CBT Certification Exam Tutorial by selecting the link on the right hand side.
Recommended Text for study for CCT:
Most recommended texts, available in our Online Store: