AACE Activities: John C. Livengood has been an active member of AACE since 2002, is a member of the National Capital Section, and is serving on the AACE Board as Director-Region 2. He is a member of the Governance Task Force and served as Chair of the Ethics Task Force. He also grades CFCC exams. Previously he served four terms as Chairman or Co-chairman of the Claims and Disputes Committee and was awarded Outstanding Committee Chairman in 2008 and 2010. He actively contributed to the development and revision of RP29R-03, Recommended Practice on Forensic Schedule Analysis (2007 and 2009) and served as one of the editors for the 2011 revision. He has presented numerous technical papers at Annual Meetings the past 10 years. He has spoken and written widely in various forums.
John is an Associate Vice President with ARCADIS in the Construction Claims Services Group in Washington, D.C. He has over 36 years of experience in design and construction as an architect, construction attorney and claims expert. He has testified in court cases. He served on the National Architectural Accreditation Board (3-years), Vice Chairman of Stoddert Soccer (7-years) and Virginia Youth Soccer Association (3-years). He holds a B.Arch. from Syracuse and a J.D. from Catholic University.
Goals and Objectives: My leadership experience in industry, on the regional level and the AACE Board has provided me with a first-hand perspective of the importance of financial organization, transparency and discipline in the budgeting/accounting process. AACE’s short and long term financial health must be constantly monitored and planned to assure our continued ability to provide vibrant support to our programs. The financial projections and actual performance must be clearly communicated to the Board and membership. With a clear understanding of these, AACE can tailor the best programs.
Providing services and programs must be tempered with a realistic and prudent evaluation of our income and expense streams. As VP Finance, I would continue the detailed communication of financial information to support the budgeting process, and focus funds and resources in accordance with our service policies, encouraging the overall growth of AACE. Specific actions include:
- Oversee and prepare the annual budget and report the performance for income, expenditures, balances and forecasts.
- Present quarterly reports to the Board of Directors and Association members for performance to the budget.
- Assist HQ staff to ensure the proper collection of dues and disbursement of dues to the Sections.
- Work with HQ staff to continue the annual audit as part of our function as a charitable, tax-exempt organization.
- Promote and maintain the use of 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status by the Sections to decrease their operational costs.
- Oversee AACE International's investment portfolio, including maintaining and monitoring AACE's financial statements.
- Monitor and review AACE’s policies, procedures, programs and initiatives, assuring they match financial capabilities.