|AACE International Activities: Dr. Don Mah has been active member of AACE for over 6 years. Don has held numerous positions with his local Aurora-Edmonton Section serving in both Directorship and Executive roles including Membership Director, Marketing Director, Treasurer and currently President.
Don had assisted the local section with coordination of Skills and Knowledge Workshops, certification exams, education scholarships at NAIT and other meeting requirements.
Don obtained his BSc, MEd, and PhD all from the University of Alberta in Edmonton. His BSc is in Civil Engineering, MEd is in Adult Education, and his PhD is in Construction Engineering and Management. Don is a professional engineer with over 25 years experience in education, engineering and project management. In addition, Don has been an Instructor at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology for over 18 years. Don teaches courses in project controls, cost estimating, scheduling and project management. His current research interest includes work with building information modeling (BIM) for cost estimating.
Goals and Objectives:
My goals as Director – Region 1 are the following:
- Promote and increase the number of Skills and Knowledge Workshops for members and support members to write certification exam questions.
- Support local sections through open and continual dialogue.
- Increase memberships in local sections through effective marketing of AACE International through industry.
- Increase student membership through mentorship, scholarships and industry programs.
- Liaise with other Region Directors for cooperation for wider marketing and networking opportunities for members.
- Network and collaborate with other industry and professional organizations.
- Assist and facilitate local sections with dinner meetings, seminars and workshops.
||AACE International Activities: Matthew Nicholas first joined AACE International in 1990 as an associate member and later became a member in 2004. He is a certified Planning and Scheduling Professional. Since becoming a member, he has been very active in Toronto Section, serving in several positions including, Director (Education), Regional Representative, Treasurer, Vice President and President. He had made several technical presentations at local sections and at the Annual Meeting in 1988. Matthew has assisted AACE International with holding numerous certification examinations and competitive scholarships for students at the local level. Matthew’s academic background includes bachelor’s degree in architecture and master’s degree in construction management. Matthew is a Senior Consultant with Revay and Associates Limited and has over 25 years of experience in project planning and control, claims analysis and management, and construction dispute avoidance and resolution.
Goals and Objectives:
I truly believe that members can reap great professional benefits by participating in the technical meetings of the local sections and the Annual Meetings. Further, I am of the opinion that those professionals who are not members of AACE International but associated with cost engineering are missing a great opportunity to broaden their knowledge base and grow professionally in their respective careers. Therefore, as a Director of Region 1, besides working to improve communication among the membership and AACE International administration, I would work to:
- Encourage the members to participate in the activities of the local sections.
- Promote sections among small and medium level organizations and increase membership within the region.
- Seek and facilitate corporate support for local sections.
- Increase corporate membership of AACE International.
- Introduce sections and promote cost engineering as a rewarding career to university and college students.
- Increase section scholarships to local educational institutions.
- Encourage and promote reciprocity between AACE International and Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors.
- Promote attendance at Annual Meetings.
- Promote better communication among sections by speaking to section leaders on a regular basis.
- Monitor performance of sections thorough quarterly reports.
- Communicate AACE International plans and objectives to sections through regular emails.