|What is a Planning & Scheduling
A distinguished task force of industry experts assembled by AACE International created the PSP program. In 2007, it earned accreditation by the Council of Engineering & Scientific Specialty Boards (CESB). The intent is to recognize specialists who meet a demanding set of planning and scheduling criteria by a rigorous examination, experience, education and ethical qualifications. The PSP requirements have been established to reflect the sophistication of individuals in today's planning and scheduling industry and to fairly measure their knowledge, experience and best management practices.
PSP certification will distinguish you as a Planning and Scheduling Professional who has the knowledge and skills that impact the bottom line. With AACE Certification, you can be sure that you have met a high quality standard.
Summary of PSP Certification Process
Candidates for the PSP designation must meet these minimum requirements:
Pass the examination
- Experience requirements
At least 8 full years of professional experience, of which up to 4 years may be substituted by a college/university degree. Related degrees include: engineering, building construction, construction technology, business, economics, accounting, construction management, architecture, computer science, mathematics, etc.
Please note that AACE cannot accept your resume/vitae as verification of employment or your degree.
Verification of work can simply be a short paragraph from your supervisor stating how long you have worked there and a brief description of your duties. If you are unable to contact a previous employer, we will accept a statement from your current employer that they did check your previous employment and verifying what they found. If you are self-employed, you can write a short paragraph explaining your work situation and then have the signature notarized.
To verify a degree, we will accept a copy of your diploma or transcripts from the awarding college/university.
- Submit Application Instructions and fees
There are two steps in making a complete application for the PSP exam: Apply & Make Payment and Submit Supporting Documentation.
- STEP ONE: All candidates must apply and make payment online or submit a downloadable application with payment information provided.
Certification fees are US$500 for AACE Members, and US$625 for Non-Members. All fees are non-refundable.
- STEP TWO: All candidates must submit experience/education verification documentation* to AACE Certification Staff.
NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
*Please note: if you are retesting, chances are you will not have to resubmit your eligibility verification documentation. If you want to be sure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
After we have received ALL of your information to complete an application, it will take approximately 45 days to properly verify your eligibility to sit for our exam and enroll you in the program. Once you have been cleared to sit for the exam and enrolled, you will receive instructions on how to schedule your examination with our computer based testing (CBT) vendor, Kryterion and an access voucher code valid for 6 months.
- If you have not completed all three steps within 6 months of applying, you will be required to reapply, paying full fees again.
- If you are unsuccessful at passing the exam the first time, you can apply to resit at a reduced fee (within 6 months of your enrollment).
To become a PSP, an overall passing score of 70% must be achieved, as determined by the Certification Board.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they have met the experience requirements prior to submission. AACE reserves the right to deny any candidate if it has been determined, after review of documentation, they are not eligible to sit for the exam. By registering and submitting payment you are claiming you have met the minimum requirements to take the exam. All fees are non-refundable.
The PSP exam contains multiple choice questions and a written memo assignment. The multiple choice questions and the written assignment scores are averaged together for an overall exam score. You must receive a minimum average of 70% in order to successfully pass the exam.
The exam is closed book. Candidates are permitted to bring any style of calculator, including programmable calculators, to use during the exam.
- MULTIPLE CHOICE EXAM: The exam is delivered through computer based testing (CBT) and is comprised of multiple-choice and compound, scenario questions. The topics covered in the exam are: basics of planning and scheduling and planning and scheduling applications.
- MEMO ASSIGNMENT: The memo assignment will provide a scenario and will require the candidate to demonstrate professional writing skills to simulate reporting on planning and scheduling analysis to the project manager. The memo will be written in the text box provided onscreen and should demonstrate a candidate’s ability to organize thought and communicate effectively. The memo will need to be addressed properly, include a purpose statement, propose a solution with supporting details and include a closing statement. The memo should include 300 words, at a minimum.
If you want to know what our CBT exam will look like, please view the CBT Certification Exam Tutorial by selecting the link on the right hand side.
Recommended Text for Study for PSP Certification:
Most recommended texts, available in our Online Store:
As your career advances, PSP goes with you
The PSP designation is versatile. It is a mark of distinction. As with any specialty certification, a primary concern is to ensure that all credentials are always up to date. That is why the program requires you to recertify every 3 years by either professional credit plan or re-testing. The recertification program is designed to ensure that you have maintained continued expertise through work experience, continuing education, professional development, and active involvement in the profession.